Monday, January 18, 2010

On a vastly more important scale than anything that may be happening in my life today, you can donate to the relief fund for Haiti on this website https://secure3.convio.net/ldsp/site/Donation2?df_id=1861&1861.donation=form1&s_src=14703

I just found out that my employer matches donations, which makes me once again grateful to work for such an amazing company.

One of the things I worry most about in a situation like this is that, right now, the world is unified in its horror and people are sending in donations from around the globe, but what about three months from now? How does a country go about rebuilding itself when it was already in terrible shape to begin with? All the infrastructure has disappeared, and now what? I wonder what we can do to help rebuild, and if people will even remember Haiti 3, 6, 10 months from now. I hope I am not one of the ones who forgets; I wish there was something more I could do, but the general consensus is that monetary donations will provide the most efficient aid. And I am grateful that the US is providing massive aid in financial, material and human resources. This article
asks an interesting question though: what sort of role should the US play after immediate relief?

Here is another interesting article :

Bush, Clinton and Obama have teamed up to combine efforts for relief, and regardless of one's political leanings, I think that is a beautiful thing.

0 grain(s) de sel:

Post a Comment