Thursday, March 3, 2011

Creamy zucchini soup

I promise this won't become a foodie blog. That being said, this recipe is too good, fast and easy not to share. The best part is you can indulge and not feel guilty because it's so good for you (well except for the sodium level, but I've decided I don't care about sodium. Salt is too yummy)
My aunt Adeline is actually the one who taught me how to make this, so I give her full credit.

Four zucchini/yellow squash (I often do half and half)
About 3 chicken broth cubes (or beef, whatever tickles your fancy)
Cumin
Seasoned salt
3 tbsp of sour cream, or more if you want to really go crazy

Wash and scrub the zucchini, cut off any parts of the skin that look funny, but don't peel them. Dice.
Boil in about enough water with broth cubes to cover the zucchini, but not too much or your soup will end up too watery. This will take about 15 min or so. Don't boil it so long the zucchini is disintegrating into complete mush though!
Add cumin and seasoned salt to taste. Cumin is the major flavor here, so go ahead--you'll like it. I'd say a heavy sprinkling is enough.
Once the zucchini is soft (not too mushy, but definitely soft) turn off the heat and blend the water and vegetables. I use this little guy:


Be very careful not to splatter because the mixture is very hot and you will burn yourself. It hurts.
Put it back on the heat for a little more.
Mix in the sour cream before serving and enjoy! Serves two, three if you're having it as an entrĂ©e.

You can skip the sour cream and it still tastes good, but even just a little bit of sour cream really adds a lot.


Jourdan: aren't you proud I didn't say four zucchinis? :)

1 comment: