Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Ruffle top

Pretty sure nobody needs a tutorial for this, but I'm doing it anyway. Na! (In French, this is what kids say when they are being contradictory, sort of like "so there" or thumbing your chin at someone).


So I just took an old tank that I never wear anymore and cut up another old white shirt into strips, about three inches wide, maybe less (still having trouble with non-metric system...)


and ruffle them (see here for how-to). Just sew a 1/4 inch from the edge. If your strips are about 1 1/2 times as long as your shirt is wide, you're good. Make sure to leave plenty of string on both ends of the strips to adjust the ruffles if the strips are now too short/long.


Don't forget to put your machine's tension back to normal after making all your ruffles!
Now tack on and start sewing from the bottom up.


Your top ruffle will probably need to be smaller depending on the neckline, etc.


There you go! I like it best with a cardigan to give it some structure.


Linking over here:

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I love the shirt! The ruffles are neat! I've never really seen anything exactly like it. I hope you two had a nice Thanksgiving! Gros bisous! :D & Thanks for your comment about the squash! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I should hire you to make my clothes. You are so creative. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummm L-O-V-E all your crafts and stuff! KEEP THEM COMING :D You're so talented Lydia!

    ReplyDelete